Tuesday 8 January 2013

Another Year Over

We're well into 2013 now, so I guess it's about time I made the first post of the year!

Firstly, a very happy New Year to everyone. I'm sure, like me, you've all come out of the holidays with bulging waistbands and empty wallets!

Of course, with the new year now upon us, it's time for the usual retrospective look at what was 2012. As usual, I set myself several hobby resolutions.

As usual, I failed almost all of them.

I failed to paint my remaining Skaven (I got some done at the beginning of the year, but not even half of what I have), I failed to construct and paint my Man o' War pirate ship (or the accompanying pirates), I failed to paint the Blood Bowl teams (they didn't even come out of the box all year) and I only managed to paint 121 figures over the course of the year (rather than the 200 I was aiming for).

All in all, a fairly dismal showing. I think it's safe to say that, after two years of failed resolutions, they clearly aren't working for me. I'm too easily distracted by other projects, or dissuaded from making any sort of progress, and so as 2012 was the Year of the Rat (in which I made the vain promise to paint all my Skaven), I hereby declare 2013 to be the Year of the Magpie - I'm simply going to muddle through the next 12 months without any particular focus or aim, and simply paint whatever takes my fancy. It might mean I see lots of projects get started without any of them getting finished, but that's not really any different to how I normally work anyway!

The one aim I do have for 2013 though is to focus on working through the backlog of figures I've got piled up, and to try and avoid buying in to too many new things during the year. I'm going to attempt to keep a tally of exactly how much I spend on hobby stuff, as well as keeping track of how many models I paint compared to how many models I buy. Having not taken this approach before, I'm not sure what I would consider to be a "good" ratio but I think at the very least I should be aiming to paint at least twice as many figures as I buy.

We'll see how it goes...


1 comment:

  1. Happy new year. 121 figures in a year isn't too bad ,you still managed to paint around 100 figures more than me. I hit a major block for the later part of the year.

    Looking forward to following your progress.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete