For those who used to read the White Dwarf magazines of old, you might be familiar with the 'Tale of Four Gamers' series and the Tale of Duelling Gamers follows a similar format.
To build up a Warhammer/Warhammer 40,000 army over a period of months, reporting on progress along the way. The challenge is designed to show new gamers how they can build up an effective army without blowing their brudgets over a period of months, and how this can be a much more relaxed process than the insane flurry that is Duelling Paintbrushes. We also aim to show how, through the cunning application of second hand or on special (or from Mantic!) you can accumulate $700 worth of GW stuff for a fraction of the cost.
The full rules can all be found on Google Drive but here's the important ones:
- The challenge runs from April to September 2014
- The first month's budget is $200, and then $100 for each month after
- Anyone mad enough to take part from a non-Australian country must base their purchases on current Australian GW retail prices. This is to ensure that the rest of the world feel sympathy for Australian gamers who have to pay these prices normally.
- Models can be bought second-hand, or taken from an existing collection, but the budget is based on current GW retail prices for the equivalent models in AUD
- Each month's installment is to be completely built and painted by the end of that month.
- Progress is to be reported in a blog post, at least once a month.
- Those who sign up and then decide to drop out shall be rightly taunted for the weedy gits they are
So there you have it! The challenge starts on April 1st, so I'll be taking stock of what figures I can paint up to make the final legal list. Meanwhile, I've got to start working out how much stuff costs in Australia - I have a feeling I won't be getting much for my money!