Thursday 2 May 2013

Greyclaw Victorious!

The Skaven came out for another game last week, this time against Gary's Tomb Kings. We settled on a small affair of 1500pts, as we didn't have too long to play. It was also the first time that Gary had used the latest Tomb Kings army book, despite having owned his Tomb Kings army for several years! With my..ahem, I mean Warlord Greyclaw's dubious generalship and Gary's relative unfamiliarity with his own army, it looked set up to be an interesting encounter.

I was all prepared for battle report writing with camera, notebook and a selection of writing implements - unfortunately, in the event there wasn't much of a battle to report! You see, after a bit of moving and repositioning, Gary went a bit overboard with his incantations and managed to blow up his Hierophant on Turn 2. The turn after, a unit of Rat Ogres ploughed through his Tomb Prince and Chariots, and the game was effectively over before it had started. Gary conceded, and we packed everything away.

Of course, a Skaven general like Queek Greyclaw will revel in any victory he achieves, no matter how it comes about, but it was a rather disappointing way to spend an evening in the end. I did take a few pictures of the first couple of turns though, so I'll share those (up to the point where it all went wrong)

The armies deployed, ready for action

My new Warpstone-infused dice; could they be the cause of Gary's misfortune?

The Skaven make the first move, with a barely-controlled rush across the table

The Tomb Kings barely move at all, with the Carrion
 and Horsemen being the only notable exceptions

The Skaven advance more cautiously now, as the Horsemen prepare to
sacrifice themselves (again) in an attempt to slow the Doomwheel

Things start to look worrying for the Skaven, as Scorpions and Swarms pop up out of the ground around them

They think it's all over...

...it is now. 

So that was that. Not the greatest of games, but I'm sure a rematch will be arranged. 

In other news, I finished painting a couple of new toys to take part in the game. First up, my converted Warlock Engineer carrying the dreaded Doomrocket (which is one of my favourite magic items!), which was constructed way back when I was taking part in the Tale of X Gamers on Asrai.org last year.




The model uses one of the spare Master Moulder figures I had from the Island of Blood set as the base. The Doomrocket itself uses the shock-prod "chassis" with the addition of a couple of Airfix bombs from a Harrier Jumpjet! The head is the alternative masked head from the Doomwheel kit, while the backpack is a resin Biohazard Backpack from Maxmini which I had spare from my still-WiP Globadier conversions.

The other new toy is yet another Poisoned Wind Mortar. The ability for them to move and fire makes them my default choice for Weapon Teams to accompany my Clanrat units, and dropping a small template's worth of death on enemy units is always fun


1 comment:

  1. I am gald to see you got my belly in, That at least stays around longer than my Tomb Kings,

    Did I mention I hate the new rules????

    G

    ReplyDelete