Thursday, 1 September 2011

Finally, some progress!

Time for an update on the WiP stuff then.

First up, Dystopian Wars.

I bought a Britannia fleet a while ago and after leaving them neglected for a few weeks after a few undercoating-related issues, I've slowly started working on them again. The Cruisers and Battleship all have various seperate turret pieces with them (Shield Generators and Gun Turrets in the set). There are loads of turret options in the DW rulebook so in a rare case of forward thinking, I thought it might pay dividends to make the turrets detachable, so that I could easily interchange any of the available options if Spartan Games make further turret options available in the future (as far as I know, only a few of the turret options detailed in the rulebook are actually available in miniature form). With that in mind, I set about magnetising the turrets.

Here you can see two of the Cruisers with the turret spaces magnetised. After a bit of thought about how to put my brilliant plan into action, I figured the best and easiest way was simply to fill the whole with Green Stuff and then press a tiny little neodymium magnet into the putty while it was curing. These magnets really are tiny - 1mm x 1mm! They are incredibly strong for their size though. I've had them for years, as I bought them originally so that I could magnetise all the weapon options for my fledgling Eldar force (which has now fallen by the wayside, as I've not played 40K for about 5 years!) On a side note, I've been looking into buying some more neodymium magnets (bigger ones) for magnetising bases, so we'll see how that pans out...

Anyway, with the magnets now firmly in place on the ships, the final stage was to do the same with the turrets. A quick snip with the cutters to remove the peg, a good filing to ensure a flat base and then a hole drilled into the base of the turret was all it look. Pop a bit of superglue in the hole, followed by the magnet (after getting the polarity right!) and voilĂ ...

With the magnetising done, the painting has now begun. I started off with a dark-metal basecoat (Chainmail and Black mix), and the wooden decking on the Cruisers and Battleship has now been painted with Scorched Brown and given a wash of Brown Ink (to get that glossy finish I like!). So far, the Frigates have only received the coat of dark-metal as there's no real decking area to speak of.

So a bit of progress with the fleet. I've still not decided on any sort of detail work, whether I'm going to do some 'Razzle Dazzle' on them or not, so we'll have to see.

In the meantime, I picked up some Tileans again last night and did a bit of work on them as well, just for fun and as something a bit different (given that I've not touched them for a few months now...)

I've gone through the whole unit and repainted the faces (pretty much the only flesh on the models) and started painting the red helmet plumes as well; I've got about halfway through the unit so far. I decided after a bit of consideration to go with Blood Red as the plume colour rather than Red Gore as originally planned. As I intend to "dip" these figures (or rather, paint them with a wash) the Red Gore would probably have come out darker than I'd intended, so hopefully the Blood Red will be a little better.

In other news, I've played a very enjoyable game of LotR this morning with my brother and I'm off to play more Uncharted Seas in about an hour. This week, we're running a four player game. Not sure whether it's going to be a free-for-all, a 2v2, a 3v1 or whatever, but we're looking at introducing an interesting mechanic for deployment involving a pack of playing cards, just to spice things up a little. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment