Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Better late than never!

OK, so it's not Sunday. It's not even Monday, but I got distracted by the Superbowl Sunday night and work got in the way yesterday, so it's now Tuesday... Still, better late than never, right?

Anyway, progress has started picking up again after the furore that was last week. The Orc Boyz for Da Warpath's CCUP (Crazy Community Unit Project) arrived over the weekend, so here they are:

I'll be cleaning the boyz up and starting minor conversion work on them later tonight probably. As they're the clip-together models (which I didn't realise), the conversion work won't be extensive but there are a few additions I'll be making that will make the models a bit more characterful. I've not quite decided how many of the Boyz I'll be donating to the project. Originally, I was going to donate all four (because I don't want/need Orcs being as I'm building an all-Goblin army...) but I might hold one or two back to make into Mordheim models perhaps.

Back to the Skaven then, and I've got as far as undercoating the Giant Rats unit

By the by, something I forgot to mention in the last post was the bases here: because I bought just a single sprue off eBay, I didn't get bases with the models. Not really a problem given that I've tonnes of spare bases, but pretty much all my spare bases have slots. Obviously, I didn't want slots for the rats so I went about trying to find a way of filling in the slots. Normally, I just use Green Stuff but I really didn't want to mess around mixing Green Stuff just to fill in gaps (that's why most of my conversion work never gets done, because I just can never be bothered mixing the stuff!). So I did a few internet searches, and eventually came across a method that I really should have thought of myself - wood filler. I've a tube of the stuff sitting in my modelling toolbox (from literally a decade ago I think). Turns out it was still good, so now I've got myself a quick and easy method for filling in bases to save me mixing Green Stuff....

Anyway, the rats shouldn't take too long to paint up. A few select coat colours (browns mostly, with a few blacks, whites and greys probably), followed by a wash and details and they should be good to go. The Packmasters shouldn't take much longer than the rats either. Naturally, I'll update on progress as it goes.

And finally, I've started work on a BSB conversion using the Warlord from the IoB box

Part of the reason I bought the Doomwheel kit (apart from the fact that it's awesome) was so I could get the banner for this conversion! I've still got to plan out exactly how I want the conversion to look, but the potential parts are now all ready. I'm considering two options at the moment; either put the banner on the back-mounted pole (getting rid of the accoutrements), or change the halberd into a banner pole with the banner on top. Not sure which would look better and be least unwieldy when it comes to ranking the lil' guy up, but I'll figure it out.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment