Sunday 14 July 2013

An Interesting Turn of Events!

Since my last post, I've decided to take the plunge and have bought a ticket for the Warhammer Throne of Skulls tournament at GW HQ in Nottingham, on October 19th and 20th. It'll be my first tournament with 8th Edition, my first time playing a tournament at Warhammer World and my first tournament at all since leaving university almost four years ago. Needless to say, I'm going to need a lot of practice games in the next three-ish months! 

Warhammer has always been my primary game, and has probably been the only constant of my "war gaming career" - other games come and go, but Warhammer was the first game I owned figures for, and it's still the game I have most figures for now. I've wanted to attend a tournament at Warhammer World for some time, but up until now I've not been in a position where I've been able to go. This time when the tickets went on sale, I made up my mind to attend. 

With the ticket bought, I've now just got to pick which army I'm going to use and get it ready. The only real choices for me are my Wood Elves or my Skaven. I'm more familiar with my Wood Elves as I've played them longer, and they're my favourite army, but they'll require significant work to get them tournament ready (i.e. decently painted). My Skaven, on the other hand, are mostly already painted to acceptable standards so extra painting work would be minimal, but I'm a complete beginner with Skaven and I have no idea what a decent Skaven tournament army looks like! I'm not expecting great results anyway (just so long as I don't finish last, I'm happy!) but I obviously want to take an army list that's at least capable of winning and my best chance of that is probably my Wood Elves, despite the difficulties that Wood Elves face in 8th Edition (which I won't be able to compensate for with a good Comp score, as the Throne of Skulls doesn't use any Comp scores!)

That, of course, means I'm going to have my work cut out for me to get my Wood Elf figures up to scratch. On the plus side, the tournament will act as motivation and give me a deadline to get things painted. The Wood Elf army list I am aiming to use (subject to any improvements between now and October) consists of 91 models. I have exactly 96 days until the tournament, which is an average of 7 models a week - certainly achievable but far above my usual standard, which averages about 7 models a month!

I'll be keeping a progress "bar" on the blog to keep track of how I'm doing and whether I'm on schedule, plus I'll be posting updates and pictures of the models of course. Time to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment